Gabriola Tool Library (GTL) — Membership Agreement & Tool Use Policy
- Members must be at least 18 years of age to borrow tools.
- Before borrowing tools, every member must:
a) create a MyTurn account;
b) sign the GTL Liability Waiver;
c) review and sign this Membership Agreement and Tool Use Policy;
d) provide identification, including proof of residence and age, to a GTL volunteer, and
e) pay the annual membership fee.
- Only GTL members are authorized to use the tools they borrow. If a member borrows a tool that will be used on his or her behalf by another person, that person must also sign the GTL Liability Waiver and agree to abide by the rules of this Tool Use Policy. The GTL member shall be responsible for any late fees or damage charges on any item borrowed for use by another person on his or her behalf.
- The member agrees that the GTL is not responsible for any defect in borrowed tools.
- The member agrees that if any borrowed tool becomes unsafe or in a state of disrepair, the member shall immediately discontinue use of the tool and notify the GTL of the issue on return of the tool.
- Tools may be borrowed for a period of two weeks (14 days), and must be returned during GTL’s open hours on or before the date they are due, where they will be examined by a GTL volunteer and their condition recorded.
- Tools may be renewed once, unless the item has been requested by another member. The GTL reserves the right to limit renewals based on demand for individual items.
- All tools must be returned in the same or better condition in which they were issued, barring normal wear and tear. Members must accept GTL’s assessment of fair restitution for damage, cleanliness, delinquency, or loss of an item in part or in whole.
- If items are returned after the due date, the member will be responsible for late fees of $2.00 per day per item for power tools, $1.00 per day for hand tools, and $5.00 per day for items in high demand. Late fees are capped at the full replacement cost of the tool plus a $5 administrative fee per tool. Late fees are subject to change.
- If tools are returned damaged, members will be charged for repair or replacement, with the total charge capped at the replacement cost of the item plus a $5 administration fee.
- When a member has outstanding charges of $20.00 or above, the member may not borrow new items nor renew current ones until such charges are paid.
- If a member is seriously delinquent in returning items (longer than eight weeks overdue), GTL may suspend the member’s borrowing privileges.
- If items are lost or irredeemably damaged, the member shall be responsible for the full cost of replacement of the item plus a $5 administrative fee.
- If a member has not returned items and paid any outstanding fines and charges after six months, the GTL will take appropriate steps to retrieve the borrowed items, to revoke membership and, if necessary, to take legal action.
- Not withstanding the above, the GTL reserves the right to forgive fees and charges at its discretion.
- The GTL reserves the right to alter the Tool Use Policy at any time, and will notify members of any such change in a timely fashion.
I have read and fully understand the rules and regulations of the Gabriola Tool Library as set out in this Membership Agreement and Tool Use Policy, and I understand that failure to comply with any of these rules may result in revocation of my borrowing privileges, legal action against me, or both. I have also read and signed the GTL Liability Waiver relinquishing any and all claims against the Gabriola Tool Library Association, and its directors, officers, and volunteers.